Monday, April 11, 2011

Crowd Sourcing

The Johnny Cash Project

I decided to contribute to the Johnny Cash project in part because I have a lot of respect for him as a very complicated individual and artist and the project seems very much in tune with that respect. This took me several hours stretched throughout a day.  I am an impressionist at heart and I wanted to capture the moment of light reflecting through the trees while maintaining the integrity of the still. WATCH ME DRAW.


The One Million Masterpiece

I chose this crowd sourcing project because I greatly enjoy quilting and because of its freedom the project resembles a gigantic quilt more than anything else to me and it inspired my crowd sourcing idea.  I chose to represent one of my favorite images, dragonflies in flight.  I have been signing my artwork with a dragonfly for more than a decade and a painting of them currently hangs over my mantel. It seemed the appropriate subject for a quilt like project because it is very representative of me and I left my mark so to speak.  It is a captured moment of light and movement. WATCH ME DRAW.



The American Quilt
Take a low resolution iconic, pop culture, controversial or political image relevant to history or our culture, grid its pixels and ask collaborators to manipulate that square and “paint” within it using software on our site… the tricky part is your color pallet is limited to the range of hues actually present in the square and we strongly encourage to keep the general color blocking similar to the original so that he overall image will still be recognizable but your square will be unique. There will be no duplicate squares. Once a picture is completed it is added to an even larger scale collaboration of all the iconic, pop cultural and political “quilted” images. Over time the quilt will grow into a living history, an ever expanding time capsule of individuals and the American history, society and impressions of pop culture or political images.

No comments:

Post a Comment